Monday, August 20, 2012

Top 5 Things I'll Miss From Home.

I've lived in the greater Vancouver area for a long time now and it's become home, therefore, there are things that I will miss when I leave and also things I won't (commuting with construction on Hwy 1!)

Here's a list of the top 5 things that I think i'll miss:

Disclaimer: This list does not include people, i'll obviously miss the people the most, that's a given!

1) Starbucks - Having worked there for the past year its safe to say i've become very addicted. I think its also safe to say that there will not be a Starbucks on Saba island. Studying + Coffee = made for each other.  Luckily i've been stocking up on via for quite some time and hopefully it will get me through until I can adapt to life without Starbucks.

Silver-lining: I'll probably save a lot of money and there is a coffee shop on Saba so there is some hope that i'll be able to find a decent latte in times of desperation.


2) Sushi & Pho - There is very easy access to both of these types of cuisine in the greater Vancouver area and I have been warned that there is no sushi on Saba. I'm taking an educated guess that there will also be no pho (shout out to Chau on Victoria drive- simply DELICIOUS!). Normally sushi comprises a good part of my diet so I think this is going to be quite the challenge. It's a good thing I like trying new things and i'm sure there will be lots of fresh fish for me to eat, even if it isn't sushi style!


3) The Aquarium- One of my favourite places to visit on a rainy day and thanks to my wonderful sister I even have a pass. It brings out my inner nerd in a place where its totally acceptable to be nerdy. Its also a lifesaver when you need something to do with kids.

Luckily in the Caribbean I have something even better- direct access! Saba itself has some of the best scuba diving in the caribbean and its nice and warm unlike the diving in Vancouver!

4) Local/In Season Fruit & Veggies - In canada we are seriously lucky to be able to grow so many crops and as a by product of this you can almost always get some sort of yummy fruit or veggie that is local, in season, and very cheap. I have heard that fresh fruit and veggies are very scarce and expensive on the island. I doubt there will be many flats of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries from the coast hitting the island, and I also doubt we will get many fresh Okanagan cherries, peaches, and apples! Yum!

5) Camping - Fun times with good friends- enough said! Shout out to Cogburn!
















Well thats it, off the top of my head those are the 5 things that I think i'll miss the most (not necessarily in order). I'm sure if I wrote this list after living on the island for a while it would be vastly different.

If you were to  move away from home what things would you miss the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment